Arapahoe Hunt Club

 

The Arapahoe Hunt

While being an astute businessman, his true love in life was ranching with a special fondness for horses.  In 1929 Phipps resurrected the Arapahoe Hunt Club, a prestigious group of horseback riding hunters, many wearing the traditional red vestments and aided by a band of eager hounds pursuing coyotes as opposed to the English tradition of foxes.  Frank Kistler granted permission in 1929 for the club to headquarter and hunt at the Diamond K Ranch.  A few years later Lawrence was honored with the title of Master of the Hunt, a position he held for many years.   Lawrence Phipps Jr. was considered an expert on the Hunt, and even wrote a book about the Hunt, the people, the horses, and the hounds. 

 

 

l

 

Following Lawrence Phipps Jr. death and the subsequent sale of Highlands Ranch to Mission Viejo, the Arapahoe Hunt needed to find a new location to hunt.  The Hunt continued to thrive, and here is a link to the current AHC website.